Saturday, June 25, 2005

Airport Pickup

So I'm in San Jose. Part of my job requires that I shuttle out to the airport here to drop off and pick up speakers. I know, sounds little dull and hokey, right? Well, the thing about it is that I am picking up the SPEAKERS. I'm not picking up guests (although I'm sure they would also be interesting to talk to), but am instead picking up people that are coming to Mount Hermon with the purpose of imparting knowledge. I get 45 minutes alone with them on the way back from the airport, and then again at the end of the week as we drive back out.

Let's take an example, shall we? A week ago today I picked up Dale Cooper. He's the chaplain and a professor over at Calvin College. He was with his wife and daughter, as well as granddaughter. What an interesting guy! One of the most gracious men I have met, and he has a demeanor about him that assures you he is ALWAYS thinking about something.

In the future I hope to take a few notes on the sermons/sessions the speakers have and fill you in on what they are talking about from time to time. And I'll let you know if they sucked, should that ever be the case.

In other news: Week 1 of camp is done! This was an interesting week because the CRC peeps are usually running the place, but for the first time in many years they are not the sole group that takes over camp. As a result, the college program usually isn't runing this week. Also as a result, the numbers for college were WAY low because people from CRC were still out in droves.

Soooooo, I just had one (1) kid there, really. Because of that, this may prove to have been the most difficult week of the summer. Spending large amounts of time with the college group is no big deal because I need a lot of time to get to know everyone. However, when it is just one person, it can fizzle quickly depending on personality. As it turned out, the guy that was here was always willing to talk about his faith life and struggles. It is great to see someone that struggles with how to live according to Christ. I was also surprised at some of those struggles, which I won't get into. It is enough to say that we talked a lot about how to continue the Christian walk on a day-after-day basis, and how to be at peace with our shortcomings as sinners.

OK, the coffee house I'm in is officially hot. And I mean that it is neat here (did I just say neat?!?!) and actually hot in terms of temperature. I think I might be melting.

By the way, what's on my background right now:
46 - Sunset 6
A sweet sunset the night that Nick and I got creeped out. Why creeped out?

50 - Creepy New Campsite
CREEPY!

2 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sirs:

I am the creepy dude who was in the van. I just wanted some Lipton noodles. You could have at least offered me some, jerks.

(Signed)
Dude living in a windowless van

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just discovered your piece of the technological pie a couple days ago. Nice to see pictures and read stories. You're missed up here in Princeton, buddy. Can't wait to see you again and take you down to Chinatown in a game of SMK!

- kp -

 

Post a Comment

<< Home