Thursday, July 07, 2005

Udating the Update (Train Day #2)

I'm in Santa Cruz...probably in the same place Nick was in his last blog entry. It is train day once again, and this time I am sitting and being a bit nervous. I lead a seminar tomorrow. I don't feel confident about it. I feel like it could very well crash and burn. It is pretty much completely done, although I want to go over it and practice the whole thing this afternoon, or late tonight...whenever I get the chance. We'll see.

In the meantime, let me reveal a little window into my life at camp this week.

Sunday: Campers and Conferees arrive. I meet up with the college group. We have about 14 or so this week and they are a great group. We play spoons. I get injured.
22 - My Nasty Gash

Monday: We head out to Garden of Eden. Because of the cut above my eye, and because I fear infections leading to blindness, I cannot get in the water. People do some log jumping, swimming, hanging out.
01 - Garden of Eden Jump - Goose & Stephen

That night we go to Ponderosa to watch the 4th of July fireworks down in Santa Cruz. Lesson learned: fireworks from far away are less than exciting.
12 - 4th 4

Tuesday: College group hits the Boardwalk and has a time and a half. I'll be posting the GREATEST PICTURE EVER next week. After we get back some staff hit Santa Cruz Diner. Dave experiences PHO for the first time and determines it is "really salty."
28 - Front PHO

Wednesday: We hit the beach at night for a bonfire. S'mores are enjoyed by all. Most random night so far and learned that many random things that you find on a beach can really be thrown into a fire, even though you don't want it thrown in YOUR fire. Among the items: boxer shorts and a volleyball. We thought the volleyball would explode. Instead it just hissed flat. Then we decided that it was a bad itea from the start. We would have rather played volleyball than burned it. Sad. At least we still had more s'mores.
36 - Fire 2

Tonight we'll be heading to the street where I am now: Pacific Avenue. I plan to hit Streetlight Records and pick up a few things. I'm finding that listening to music is a rare opportunity with everything going on, and I consider music to be a big part of my life, so it's a big shift for me. I do have some solace as I plan to buy tickets to see this guy on July 19th here in Santa Cruz. I'm "slightly" excited. Don't know who Sufjan is? I recommend you leave right now and go check him out. The phrase that comes to mind is "worth it."

Anyway, I've planning on going over all the notes from Chuck Swindoll's series this week and hope to get something done about on Saturday or so. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, really. A lot stems from the fact that some things rubbed me the wrong way, but many people insist that this was out of character according to the past years. I'll go with my notes and see what I can come up with.Suffice to say that even though I am very single, I got a lot of advice this week about family values and being married. Uhhh, yeah.

1 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Mary said...

I just saw the picture of the gash above your eye from playing spoons. Couldn't help but laugh and say, "That's my kind of spoon playing!" Our church group would always chunk the spoons across the room with people diving over tables, chairs, people... For some reason no one wanted to play spoons with me in college...haha... I still love a nice game of spoons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home